Monday, January 12, 2015

Say Hello To My Big Friend



This free-standing heavy weight bag is 6.5' feet tall and weighs 300 lbs. Today this Wave Master Bag became my recovery buddy.  Veterans use the term recovery buddy for the person who is helping them with their recovery work from PTSD. .

My recovery buddy till now was Doc. That was until lunch time today, when I reached Phase 2 of the PTSD Recovery cycle (the seething anger/frustration phase), and found the need for a new buddy. Say hello to my big friend - Big Wave.

Today I chose my pain, my attacker didn't.  Since the attack, I've been recovering from injuries and a great deal of their related pain. At my first self defense class I was taught a number of punches and kicks to help defend myself. Today, I chose to put on gloves and step into an octogon with my friend here standing center stage. The octogon is located in the rear of a 2nd level sub-basement of a gym.

Big Wave took the place of my attacker and I was so angry when I approached the bag, that every person in the area left within 15 min of me beginning to punching/kicking TKO routine.  Even though I was still sore and had some residual pain from the attack before the workout I went ahead with it.  The difference being that I was choosing to intensely work out and be sore and in pain of my from my workout instead of being in physical pain from the attack.

I hit that heavy bag so hard from every angle that twice gym staff came over to see what was going on. I can tell they were surprised to see a short middle-aged woman pounding the bag.  \after watching me throw a series of punches and grapple the bag to ground, on gym staffer said, "Wow, you throw hard punches for a girl."

I responded by inviting him to step in front of the bag so I could show him how an angry woman throws a punch so he would know the difference between that and a girl. He turned around and walked away.  45 min later my seething anger had subsided, but the overall pain in my body had increased 10 fold.

I don't mind this pain... its of my own making and choosing.  I chose it, so I own it,  Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to put on some Ben-gay cream on my shoulders, elbows and knees.

google-site-verification: google0ae6c0eabbcf691f.html