Monday, June 07, 2004

Terror & the Men in my Squad

All morning long, and on all the major news media outlets there have been reports about this "new" credible threat.

Nothing new to us. I work for one of those large financial institutions who were targetted on 9/11 and continue to be so. Not many people know that Al Queda planned this attack so well that it purchased stock "Futures" in a few select companies that were located in the World Trade Center, as well as the airlines affected. Shortly before the attack they dumped the stock, greatly impacting the NYSE. Bottom line, they made money off their own actions. Since then the SEC has put in place measures that help to prevent financial instability, however, another terrorist attack would go a long way to hurt our country's recovery and alter our elections (as happened in Spain).

Post 9/11, I received one of those lovely packages, laced with an interesting residue that went out to be tested. My firm and I kept quiet about it for a number of reasons, mostly the need to protect the sanity of our friends and WTC survivors. Just like I don't open email from unknown senders (and even attachments from familiar ones) I don't open packages from unknown entities without calling to confirm the recipient sent it before opening it. I was lucky by having that rule, others in the media industry and the post office were not.

We have also had bomb scares at my firm aimed at demoralizing staff. I for one, now react the opposite, I get angrier and more determined with each new threat. On my floor we've got an incredible life safety team that meets monthly and practices scenarios quarterly. We're prepared for anything.

Since 9/11, my firm has put incredible security measures in place to ensure we minimize the effect of hostile actions. We are very well prepared to handle anything that may happen in the workplace. Part of the credit is due to some incredible guys who are the head of our security division; their former intelligence and military training serves us well.

Unfortunately, on a personal level, I am as vulnerable as any New Yorker when I travel throughout the city. The difference between an ordinary traveler and me, I'm finally at a place of strength and peace. I'm at peace with myself that this is the kind of world I will live in for some time to come. And although I am vulnerable, the reality of this does not make me afraid for I have found the courage and determination I needed to move forward with head held high.

My inspiration for courage has come from a wonderful source, our servicemen. Since April I have been the faithful correspondent of nearly 40 US servicemen, one of which is my youngest cousin deployed in Afghanistan.

Through our letters we have bolstered our morale and inspired each other to stand firm against any threat or action that threatens our beloved country. Their incredible feats in the face of hostile action have been amazing and inspirational. They continue to show me what determination and dedication can accomplish. I credit them for my being able to move from grief, past fear, and into the light of a new day with the same hope and strength they have developed. This is the group that I call my squad. They come from different branches of the service, from different backgrounds, but mostly they are an incredible group of brave, selfless men that have given up much so they may serve to protect me. So that I might finally walk the streets of New York not feeling like I have a target on my back.

I greatly admire, respect, and salute each and everyone of these men. They have done much to fill the void left by the murder of my 7 friends. These are the men who have rallied around me, supported me, who have watched my back and have enabled me to get my life back. They are: 1Sgt Jim, Sgt. Matt, Sgt. Rob, Capt. Elliot, Sgt. Joel, CWO Roy, PFC Manny, LCpl JJ, most recently Capt. JR and Col. Peg Leg.

There's also a few others who have inspired me through their blogs. When my site was hijacked digital jihadists I lost my blogroll and my links to them. I'm still working on getting the list together for when I move to my new place but until I move, I list them here and urge you to visit regularly if you wish to be inspired:

Sgt. Hook
Sgt. Missick
Eject! Eject! Eject!

I am greatly honored that some of these men consider me [and I them] a friend. Terrorist action or not, I am not afraid. I am prepared emotionally, mentally, and spiritually for what may come. I have my Last Will  completed, my son's Guardianship Papers signed and my spirit free of any thoughts of things left undone or unsaid, for I have now said them here.

Words cannot express the gratitude I have for these men, for their sacrifice and that of their families. They are all incredible men of honor and courage, and are very dear to me. My fervent prayer is that God provide them with the continued strength and wisdom needed to perform their jobs and the inner peace needed to continue their fight daily. God bless them all!

Update: To those who have emailed me expressing concern and sending well wishes, I thank you. Your emails are heartfelt and much appreciated. They too add to my strength. I am back at work again, thanking God for the love and support I've received, and for the peace I'm experiencing in my spirit. God bless you all too!
google-site-verification: google0ae6c0eabbcf691f.html