Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Letters from Baghdad

Hi y'all,
Below are 2 letters Michele recently received from 2 of her military correspondents. She was so touched by them, that she asked I post their letters here to share with others. Let us know what you think.
Morgana
------------------------------------

Dear Michele,

I am writing you from [somewhere near Baghdad]. Earlier today I walked in from a mission that took us five long hot days. Upon our return we found out that we would be leaving out again in the morning on yet another mission – length unkown. My unit has been in this area for one week short of one year, and last month we were informed that we would be extended longer than our original 365 days.

Today was cooler than it has been lately (only 112 degrees). Please don't misunderstand, I’m not complaining. I was no longer even in the National Guard, but reenlisted when my old unit was mobilized. I only want to give you some perspective on the situation in which I found your postcard.

I walked into the tent and it was just lying there on my cot, under a fine coat of dust, like everything else. I blew it off and felt a painful knot growing in my throat before I could finish reading it. I don't know who you are, or where you got my name and address even, but I will say this, Your kind words have added much meaning to these past twelve months. To put it very bluntly, my men have worked very hard, for what seems a very long time, and it is good to hear from someone who gives a damn about us.

Though we are from different parts of the country, lots of people from my home-town area felt the loss and sorrow, and many even wept with you when they heard the awful news of 9-11, and I am truly sorry for any pain or heartache you have had to endure since your great city fell under attack. I will read the card you sent to the guys later tonight in their briefing. I am certain that they will appreciate your prayers, thanks and well wishes, as much as I did. Thank you once again Michele.

Your friend in Iraq and fellow American,
Capt. JR

---------------------------------------

Greetings,

It's been a long day for all of us and I can't wait till it is over with. It started out ordinary enough but that quickly changed into quite an active day for mortar. Mosque Day has taken on a new meaning here. It has become a day of mortar attacks and prayers. In fact I had to change my whole message because those insurgents can't remember what Mosque day is supposed to be about.

Nevertheless the FOB overall took a beating, we had some casualties, and once again we had two rounds land near our command post and our vehicles. It was an experience that rattled a few of our newer soldiers and left me once again feeling pretty lucky to be alive. I thank you all for all your prayers, because I know that's what got me through.

This mission will someday end for us and I can tell you that we are better for it or should I say that I am better for it. The daily mortar attacks have been a true test of our resolve. [snip] I feel much honored to be here with these soldiers as they struggle with the heat, the bad food, and the lack of luxury items that one could easily find at any 7-11 stores in the states. I feel very lucky to be here and it is an experience that I will always look back on.

I have tried to learn everyday, to make myself better, to improve the lives of my soldiers, to uphold standards that seem so high, yet save lives in the long run and finally I have learned that Memorial Day is for the living not the dead. It is a day for us to remember those who have served and given their life for a cause, it is a day to celebrate their legacy, by this I mean what they left for us to emulate, and most of all it is a day to sit back and understand how better our lives were because we knew them.

I, or should I say we, have all been affected by this conflict, for most of us the terrible tales we all have can only be shared with those who have been here. I have seriously considered what I am going to tell people when they ask me, "How was it, really?" It is a question that I will be asked by many and yet there is truly no right or wrong answer. However I believe that my answer will be the following: "I am very proud of my unit and the positive impact they had on the Iraqi people that no one ever cared to write about. I served in an artillery unit, who had 8 soldiers killed and a unit whose soldiers were awarded the most Purple Hearts in the division. I had the pleasure of serving with the best soldiers, NCOs, and officers, who were not always perfect, but cried when they saw the aftermath of a car-bomb which left many Iraqi men and women dead. I had the honor of meeting many very warm and friendly Iraqi nationals, who seemed no different from people that I know it the states. But most of all I served my country for 14 months and received the thanks of many grateful Americans who showered me with cards, emails, and boxes filled with love and generosity."[snip]

I thank you again for all your generosity and your thoughtfulness. You all have made a tremendous difference in my life and the lives of those who serve with me. God Bless you all and I hope that all of you have a very good Mosque Day and a better weekend. Godspeed and I'll see you on the high ground.

Texas Red Leg
google-site-verification: google0ae6c0eabbcf691f.html